Palliative Care Support 5N3769 QQI/FETAC Level 5
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skills and competence to enable them to care for and address the needs of a person and their family after the diagnosis of a life-limiting illness, in a dignified, inclusive and holistic manner.
Who should apply:
Anyone interested in working with the older person or healthcare environment.
Learners will be able to:
1. Discuss the philosophy and principles of palliative care.
2. Summarise the structure and organisation of palliative care services.
3. Discuss the role of the support worker in the promotion of key issues such as life quality, self-esteem, respect, privacy and dignity in palliative care work.
4. Explore different attitudes to death and dying to include an understanding of individual patterns of grief,bereavement and loss.
5. Employ a range of communication strategies and processes which are central to the work in palliative care.
6. Apply a person-centred approach to caring for a person in the last days of their life.
7. Respond appropriately to the needs of the person who is confused in the last days of life.
8. Work effectively and with great sensitivity in relation to the dying person and their significant others in palliative care setting.
9. Use the range of skills required from a palliative support worker in relation to end of life care.
Learner Record 70% Assignment 30%
The grading of the QQI/FETAC component is as follows:
Pass - 50-64% Merit - 65-79% Distinction - 80-100%
G Training Centre, Gorey
Duration: 10 - 12 weeks Start Date: Thursday 25th September 2014 Time: 7.00pm - 9.30pm
All participants are required to be Garda Vetted and take part in suitable work experience during the programme.
It is the responsibility of the learners to secure an appropriate work experience placement.
Please note: KCFE can NOT insure candidates while attending work experience.
Learners may work in Health Care settings such as:
Nursing homes/ Day care, Special Needs Centres, Family Carers, Respite Workers, Home Helps Care Attendants
or People interested in working in the Care sector
Following successful completion Kilmuckridge Centre of Further Education will offer a QQI/ FETAC Level 5 component in Palliative Care Support (5N3769) which is a Level 5 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
Palliative Care Support (5N3769) is a component of Healthcare Support 5M4339 QQI/FETAC Level 5 Major Award.
Learners who successfully complete this programme may use the associated credits as a stand-alone qualification or as one component of a Major Award, with a view to moving up to the next level
All training is delivered in a friendly and comfortable training centre with experienced and dedicated tutors focusing on ensuring each trainee is given every opportunity to learn the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities in order to excel in their caring role.
To view more information in relation to the specific learning outcomes of this component please see the full Component Specification which is available on the QQI/FETAC website.
To find out if the above component is currently scheduled please visit our Course Scheduled page