School Age Childcare 5N1781 QQI/FETAC Level 5
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to implement and evaluate school age child care programmes.
Who should apply:
Anyone interested in working with Children or in the Childcare environment.
Learners will be able to:
1. Outline the elements of an effective school age child care programme
2. Explain the importance of developing programme plans that are inclusive of children and young people
3. Discuss strategies to ensure that a strong focus on play/recreation remains a core principle and a distinguishing characteristic of school age child care settings
4. Identify aspects of provision for enrichment/homework within a multi-age setting
5. Evaluate environments, equipment and resources to suit stages of development and ages
6. Use strategies for involving all service users in the planning, implementing and evaluation of the programme
7. Evaluate a range of environments (indoor and outdoor) suitable for a school age child care setting
8. Implement a range of activities that address the developmental, recreational, interest and creative needs of children and young people
9. Reflect on own role and responsibilities when engaging with children.
Assignment 20% Assignment 20% Learner Record 60%
The grading of the QQI/FETAC component is as follows:
Pass - 50-64% Merit - 65-79% Distinction - 80-100%
G Training Centre, Gorey
Duration: 10 - 12 weeks Start Date: To be Confirmed
All participants are required to be Garda Vetted and take part in suitable work experience during the programme.
It is the responsibility of the learners to secure an appropriate work experience placement.
Please note: KCFE can NOT insure candidates while attending work experience.
Students obtaining certification in Childcare may progress to further studies at selected third level colleges under the Higher Education Links Scheme.
Other options include entering direct employment within the childcare profession as:
• Crèche/Nursery Worker
• Professional Child-minder
• Au Pair
• Pre-school Teacher
• Special Needs Assistant (SNA)
• Primary School Classroom Assistant
• Play school Assistant
Following successful completion Kilmuckridge Centre of Further Education will offer a QQI/ FETAC Level 5 component in School Age Childcare 5N1781 QQI/FETAC which is a Level 5 on the National Framework of Qualifications.
All training is delivered in a friendly and comfortable training centre with experienced and dedicated tutors focusing on ensuring each trainee is given every opportunity to learn the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities in order to excel in their childcare role.
To view more information in relation to the specific learning outcomes of this component please see the full Component Specification which is available on the QQI/FETAC website.
To find out if the above component is currently scheduled please visit our Course Scheduled page.